Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Memories of my dog Dixie

My husband and I got a dog on Sept. 1, 1999, when Ethan was 2 1/2 years old.  Her name was Dixie, she was 6 years old when we got her and she was part Golden Lab/Golden Retriever and Wow she was such a pretty dog.  We got her at the Animal Shelter on Kitty Hawk Drive here in Cedar City.  She loved walks, (when she saw a cat, she would stop and eye that cat to see where it would go, but she hardly ever ran after the cat),she loved catching bubbles, she loved watching birds, she loved to lick your face, she was an indoor dog and she hardly ever barked. In the time we had her, she probably only barked 3 or 4 times.  Ethan also loved to lay on her, but she didn't seem to mind at all.  I feel really bad that I didn't take to many pictures of her, especially when Zach and Connor came along.  When Zach came along, Ethan was 5 years old and he wasn't jealous of his new baby brother, but the dog was.  It was pretty funny, you should of been there especially with the first few days that Zach came home from the hospital.  We would be holding Zach and here comes Dixie, sticking her nose into us trying to get attention and to see what we were doing.  She passed away at the vet's office on Nov. 26, 2007(the Monday after Thanksgiving) and she had some kind of Cancer.  Ethan took a few pictures of her before we left for the vet  Will and I both were at the vet and we knew she wouldn't make it, so we called Ethan and told him what was going on and he was very sad because that was his dog, since he was 2 /12 and he was almost 11 when she passed away.

She was my second dog in my lifetime and I hope we can get another dog soon, but I don't know when.  Connor doesn't like animals at all and he was only 4 when she passed away, so he doesn't remember anything about her and I wish he did because she was such a sweet dog and I Miss her so much.  She didn't care what you looked like, she loved you know mater what.  There are days I wish she was still here.




No comments: