Friday, August 22, 2008

Friendship Night

A few of you know about this, but some don't. I started doing this probably about a year ago and I do it once a month. We have many people move into my ward every month, it seems like it. Anyway, I wanted to do something to get to know the women in my ward and to basically get out of my shell and not be so scared to talk to them. I have 15 women signed up for it, but the last few months or so, I have had only 4 women show up, but that is okay, it is nice to have a small group, my house isn't that big. I mail them reminders each month and I do tell them to call me, if they can't come and a few have called me to tell me they can't come. I had someone call me a few hours before it started, to ask me if she could bring her daughter and of course she could bring her, my kids would be there, because its at my house. This was her first time there and she has been in the ward for 3 months. I usually have them bring something, but this time I decided to do something about loving life. I have had this saying on my fridge for years and I believe I got it had homemaking, when they called it that. This is the saying:

It's Up To You

One Song can spark a moment,
One Flower can wake the dream.
One tree can start a forest,
One bird can herald spring.
One smile begins a friendship,
One handclasp lifts a soul.
One star can guide a ship at sea,
One word can frame the goal.
One vote can change a nation,
One sunbeam lights a room.
One candle wipes out darkness,
One laugh will conquer gloom.
One step must start each journey,
One word must start each prayer.
One hope will raise our spirits,
One touch can show you care.
One voice can speak with wisdom,
One heart can know what's true.
One life can make the difference.
You see, it's up to you!

I each gave them a copy of the poem, I put it on colored paper for them. I also gave them a tiny brown sack with a white card in it and it said "Be Yourself", it was a stamp I got at a craft store and I stamped each card with it. Then I read this book called "LoveLife" and my sister Gayle gave it to me for Christmas, so thanks Gayle for that book, I really love that book. It is a book, with many different quotes about loving life. Everyone thought it was a really good book and funny. Everyone enjoyed everything that I prepared for Friendship Night and so that was good. I wanted to do something like this for Friendship Night for awhile now and so I did it. I have been having a hard time about life for awhile now and this is the second time I have read that book, since I got it at Christmastime and it was great to read it again. I need to read that book more, I think it will help me and I also need to read that saying more often, its on my fridge, I just need to look at it more. I am getting better at loving life, but sometimes I wonder what my purpose is here on earth. I love being a wife to Will and I love being a mom to my 3 wonderful boys, but I don't love myself. To tell you the truth ,I don't think I ever have. I really try to love myself, but it is hard for me to. I just am really hard on myself and somedays I feel like I can't do anything right. Anyway, I also have a dessert and I usually buy it because its easier that way. Talisha couldn't make it, so I dropped by her work and gave her a brownie
and the saying of "It's Up To You" and the card with "Be Yourself" and she appreciated me stopping by. We are going to a movie tonight, so that would be good for me to get out.

2 comments:

TisforTonya said...

What a great idea - we're having a few issues with what kind of things to do for enrichment in our ward - I think I'll suggest this!

Your pictures really are beautiful by the way! I can see why you want to be a photographer.

Gayle said...

That's a great idea -- I'm proud of you for following through with it!