Thursday, January 22, 2009

January's Friendship Night

Last night was Friendship night, that I have once a month and this year I am doing it on the third Wednesday of each month, so last night was time for it. The last several months, I have had only 3-5 people show up, but 8 people showed up last night and so that made me very happy. We played a game with some yarn. I told each person to cut a piece of yarn, it could be short or long and I didn't tell them what we were doing until everyone had their piece of yarn and I also participated. When everyone had their yarn, I told them the game, which was to tell everyone about yourself. You would wrap your piece of yarn around your finger and you keep telling everyone about yourself, until your piece of yarn was at the end. So some people told alittle about themselves and others told many things about themselves. I found this game on the internet and it was a lot of fun.
I love to collect sayings and I keep all of them in a box, so I found a saying that I wanted to give to everyone. It says, "To Be Someone Special, Believe That You Are." I don't know where I got this saying, but I have had it for years. I think everyone needs to be reminded of this and I have always had a hard time believing this myself. I try to remind myself that I am someone special, but I don't think I am. See, I wore glasses from the ages of 4-16 and let me tell you I hating those things. People made fun of me right and left and what gets to me the most is, I never stood up for myself and I just let people do this to me over and over again. I was very shy and that is probably why I never said anything to the people that were making fun of me, because I was afraid I would of made it worse. I had friends that didn't care about my glasses and so they liked me for me, no matter what, but I wish everyone felt that way. It just seems like, Junior High is the worse age and to me Junior High was the worse 3 years of my life. Yes, I did have good times during those years, but it just seemed like it was more bad than good. It is still hard for me talking about this and it happened years ago. I am 36 years old and I can't seem to let go of this sometimes, but I am trying.
Anyway, everyone really liked the saying and then we had deseret, that one of the ladies brought and it was delicious. All and all the evening turned out really well and now I have to think of what to do for Friendship Night for February.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Hi Malinda,

Happy New Year! Hope all is well with you...I just tagged you, so head over to my blog to find out what you 'have' to do next...Ginger

Krista Dodd said...

Sorry I missed it! Sounds like you had fun with the string game. One of these times I am really going to make it to friendship night.