Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Thankful Tuesday : The Gold Nugget

On Sept. 11, 1972, when I was about 6 weeks old my Grandma and Grandpa Gold wanted to try something with their daughter and 4 sons.  My grandma and grandpa wanted to try a family newsletter because everyone was scattered and they just wanted to keep everyone up to date of what was going on with everyone.  My grandparents wanted to try this experiment for about a month and see how it would work with everyone, well it is June 4, 2013 and so I would say it has worked very well.  Everyone that is married, going to college(it was great to get the newsletter, when I was away at college) or been on a mission, has gotten a newsletter.  I have been going through old newsletters lately, well the ones that were from my family and it has been great to see what I did when I was a child, where we lived ,what kind of things we were doing and where we went on vacation.  My sister(the one who does the newsletter) gave all of us siblings a big book back in 1994 for Christmas and it has all of my families letters that we sent in for the newsletters from 1972-1994, plus if we were mentioned in my grandparents or aunts and uncles letters, those letters are in there too.  It has been great to find out when babies are born, who was having a birthday, when everyone's anniversary is, when someone moved, when cousins went to college and when cousins got married.  We did do The Gold Nugget weekly for quite awhile and now we do it once a month.  One of my sisters does the newsletter and all of my aunts/uncles receive it, my grandma receives it,  my parents receive it, my siblings receive it, all of my cousins that are married and go to college receive it.  My sister is so good at this, even though I haven't put a letter in for awhile.  I just want to thank my wonderful Grandma Gold (my Grandpa died in 2003) for starting this newsletter back in 1972, it is so wonderful to read what we did back then and just to be more connected with my aunts/uncles and cousins and my cousins children that have been on a mission or gotten married or that have been away at college.  It has been the greatest thing to have in this family and knowing what has been going on with relatives.  I feel like I know them a lot more, then I would have if we didn't do The Gold Nugget.
The first year of The Gold Nugget.

The book, my sister did for us for Christmas 1994.  This is the book  that I have been reading

These are all of the newsletters from everyone, since Sept. 1993.  That is when I was away at college.

No comments: